Chinese Crispy Fried Chicken coated with a light and sticky Honey Sauce – Doesn’t it sound good? Well, it sounds fabulous to me. The honey flavor is nicely enhanced with every crunchy bite of chicken. The perfect fried chicken texture that I love is crispy outside and juicy inside. I can’t image how much I can snack on this Honey Chicken without someone stopping me. The sticky Honey Sauce goes through every little bit of chicken makes the dish truly addicting!
Chinese Crispy Honey Chicken is a perfect snack, side dish, and dinner. For a Korean version, you can check out my Honey-buttered Korean Fried Chicken with Almonds recipe! If you prefer fish, my Chinese Crispy Lemon Fish will be an excellent choice for you.
Chef’s Notes: I always love using Chicken Leg Meat for my fried Chicken recipes. However, you are welcome to use Chicken Breast instead. Take a closer look at the chicken when frying, you do not want to overcook it as you want your chicken to stay juicy inside and crispy outside.
I hope you enjoy making this Chinese Crispy Honey Chicken recipe! The texture and flavors are so additive that you will not be able to just have one bite.
Chinese Crispy Honey Chicken
- 400 g Chicken Leg Meat, cut in bite-sizes
- 1 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine (Shaoxing Wine)
- 1.5 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Egg White
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- Oil for frying
- some chopped Green Onions
- some toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 Chicken Bouillon
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine (Shaoxing Wine)
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Water
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together Chicken, Chinese Cooking Wine, Light Soy Sauce, and Egg White. Set aside to marinate for 10 – 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine Chicken Bouillon, Water, Chinese Cooking Wine, Rice Vinegar, Light Soy Sauce, Honey, and Brown Sugar. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, add in All-purpose Flour and Cornstarch, mix well. Then add in the Chicken pieces and the marinade. Use your hand to mix well the flour and the chicken to create an uneven coating. Shake off extra flour.
- In a wok, add in enough Oil for the Chicken pieces to float, on medium-high heat. Add the Chicken pieces one at a time into the hot oil. Fry the chicken in batches. Cook for 3-4 minutes until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel or a wire wrack.
- In a clean wok, add in the Vegetable Oil, on medium heat. Add the Garlic, and cook for about 15 seconds until fragrant. Then add the Honey Sauce mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the Sugar has dissolved and the sauce starts to boil.
- Add in the Starch Water. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce has thickened up slightly. Add in the fried Chicken pieces and toss well with the sauce. Make sure to coat the sauce evenly.
- Transfer to a serving plate or bowl. Drizzle with some extra Honey Sauce on top. Sprinkle with some chopped Green Onions and toasted Sesame Seeds. Ready to enjoy!
6 thoughts on “Chinese Crispy Honey Chicken”
The best Honey Chicken recipe I have tried. The chicken is so crispy and the honey sauce is really addicting. All my kids love this. The whole plate is gone fast. Thanks.
Thanks so much Emily. Really glad to hear. Hope you can try some other recipes too:)
Wow. My family loves this Honey Chicken! The honey sauce is amazing. Really addicting! I will definitely make this again soon. Thanks for the recipe.
This is also one of my family favourites. Happy to know that your family loves it too.